In his early career, Albert Derwa was first of all an outstanding young birds' fancier. Over the years he successfully managed to become equally successful with the old birds and yearlings. Meanwhile, the team of Derwa-Luxem (Albert and his wife Francine) has become a nationally renowned loft across all disciplines. We saw in 2014 that their pigeons are really tough to beat.
Albert and Francine had an impressive start to the 2014 season, having added two provincial first prizes to their palmares by the end of May. Their racing team continued to perform really well in the following weeks, and they another provincial first prize from Vierzon was claimed in late July. They closed the season with an astounding 17 first prizes and 3 provincial victories:
1st Prov. Vierzon 1,826 p. – 1st Vierzon Brab. Union 2,136 p. and 6th Intprov. Vierzon 10,480 p. (17 May)
1st + 2nd Prov Blois 1,711 p. – 1st + 2nd Blois Brab. Union 1,880 p. (24 May)
1st Prov. Vierzon 747 p. (26 July)
As these results demonstrate, 2014 has been another great season for the champions' loft from Herent. Their title of 1st Nat. Champion Yearlings KBDB 2011, the national first prize from Issoudun young birds in 2013, and the impressive results of Primo and De Zoon has made this pigeon loft impossible to overlook. It seems that this team has reached its full potential, not least thanks to the invaluable bloodline of Paulien, along with a number of recent revelations in the racing and breeding loft.
The invaluable bloodline of Paulien!
The outstanding hen Paulien has become one of the main players in this loft in recent years. She was an excellent racing hen and an outstanding breeder, a stock dam with exceptional breeding qualities. Sadly enough their gem was found dead in January this year, which was a significant loss for Albert and Francine. She had bred an impressive number of top quality descendants over multiple generations.
The descendants of Paulien have played a major role in this team, having been involved in the title of 1st Nat. Champion Yearlings KBDB 2011 and the national victory young birds from Issoudun in 2013. The invaluable Paulien bloodline has led to great results in other lofts as well. We take a look at some of the most important achievements from this Paulien dynasty:
In their home loft
- Invictus: 1st Nat. Issoudun 2013, a grandson Paulien
- Pricilla: 4. Nat. Ace Pigeon Longer Middle Distance 2013, a daughter Paulien
- De Zoon: 3rd Olympiad Pigeon Cat. D Nitra 2013, a son Paulien
- Primo: 3rd Nat. Ace Pigeon All Round Europe Cup 2011, a son Paulien
- Pellina: 8th Nat. Ace Pigeon Longer Middle Distance 2008, a daughter Paulien
In other lofts
- Koen Minderhoud (NL) won a 1st NPO Pithiviers 6,340 p., 1st NPO La Souterraine 3,077 p., 1st NPO Châteauroux 2,227 p., in 2013 with his Geeloger, a grandson of Paulien.
- Jos Thoné (BE) claimed a provincial first prize from Vierzon against 3,088 pigeons in 2013 with Derwien, a granddaughter of Paulien.
- Gerard Koopman (NL) won a first prize from Quiévrain against 2,817 p. in 2014 with a pigeon bred from Cassius (Kleine Dirk x Annelies) x daughter Paulien.
- Premier Stud (UK) won a first prize against over 2,000 p. with a grandchild of Paulien and a first prize against over 3,000 p. with a grandchild of a brother of Paulien, both in 2014.
- Matthias Coel (BE) won a 1st Prov. Ace Pigeon KBDB Young Birds 2012 with a granddaughter of Paulien.
This is quite impressive!
Rose and daughter Rosella: the basis for a new generation of champions?
These two hens were obviously the stars of the 2014 racing team. The two pigeons both won a first prize in the ace pigeon championships, both in the Brabant Union and the Union between the Demer & Dijle river. Rose won an ace pigeon title in the old birds' category, while Daughter Rosella became ace pigeon yearlings. Such talented racing hens are quite likely to develop into top class breeding hens later on, especially compared to their male counterparts. This means these two hens have a promising future ahead, and we can tell you that Rose has already showed her potential in the breeding loft.
- Rose BE12-2080135, a 100% Paul Huls hen (pedigree).
1st Ace Pigeon GHF 2014 Brab. Union 1st Ace Pigeon GHF 2014 Demer & Dijle 1st Prov. Blois 1,711 p.
She is a full sister of Miss Belgium, winner of the following prizes:
Best young bird of Belgium over 3 national races in 2010 1st Prov. Ace Pigeon Longer Middle Distance 2010 1st Western European Ace Pigeon Allround 2011 1st Prov. Blois prov 2,413 p. 10th Nat. La Souterraine 17,017 p. 29th Nat. Argenton 22,442 p. 51st Nat. Bourges 30,748 p.
Rose is in turn the dam of another highly talented racing pigeon of Derwa, called Rosella (bred from Doffer 11-2050012 x Rose). This is her palmares:
1st Ace Pigeon GHF 2014 Brab. Union (and 1st – 3rd – 5th and 7th Ace Pigeon BU) 1st Ace Pigeon GHF 2014 Demer & Dijle 2nd Prov. Vierzon 1,375 YL 3rd Intprov Vierzon 5,715 YL
It is also worth noting that Albert has won a 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th in the ace pigeon championship yearlings of the Brabant Union. It has been quite a season indeed.
The pigeons of Derwa have taken charge again this season. This small team of racing birds managed to compete for victory at a weekly basis, which resulted in an impressive 17 first prizes at the end of the season. This top quality breed is likely to achieve equally great results in the upcoming 2015 season as well.