A fantastic 2019 with 3 x 1st Provincial and 2-3-4-5-7th National
How close can you get to a national victory? It is a question that comes to mind when browsing the impressive list of achievements from 2019 of Etienne Meirlaen. They have five national top 7 placings to their name, and every long distance fancier knows that you cannot get any closer. The devil is in the details: the location of your loft, the wind, the weather, or your pigeons opting to make a small detour before getting back inside. These details can be the difference between victory or a top five. And you need a bit of luck in order to make it happen. Etienne had already managed to win a 1st Int. Narbonne of 12,605 p. in 2011 (with Monar), a 1st Int. Perpignan of 3,481 p. in 2009 (with Perpignanlady), a 1st Nat. Cahors of 8,348 p. in 2012 (with Monar), as well as a 1st Nat. and 2nd Nat. Pau in 2014 (with Marco and Cor-As). The team claimed quite a few national top 10 placings in recent seasons, including a 2 x 2nd National St. Vincent in 2018 and 2019, which is as close as you can get. For an overview of their national and international top 10 placings, click here.
After another very successful season, withj 3 provincial first prizes, a 2nd zone and numerous other national top results, Etienne Meirlaen has every reason to be satisfied about 2019. He knows that his champions have done really well. Here is an overview of his 2019 racing season:
-1. Provincial and 2. National St.Vincent 2,949 olds (just like in 2018)
-1. Provincial and 3. National Narbonne 3,580 yearlings
-1. Provincial and 5. National Souillac 4,056 yearlings
-2. Provincial and 4. National Perpignan 3,915 olds
-7. National Pau 2,797 olds
It led to a number prestigious titles and national ace pigeons:
-1. Best extreme long distance of Belgium in the international races – 3 prizes (with supercrack VIPau)
-1. Belgium's best pigeon in Perpgignan - across two seasons: 2018-2019
-11. Nat Champion extreme long distance KBDB 2019
-11. and 12. Nat. Ace Pigeon extreme long distance olds KBDB 2019
And let's not forget his 1st and 4th Olympiad Pigeon extreme long distance KBDB in Poznan, Poland in early 2019. The many championship titles and victories are testament to the enormous potential of the modern-day Meirlaen racing bird in the extreme long distance.
2 x 2nd National St.Vincent in 2018 and 2019
Just like in 2018, Etienne Meirlaen was able to add a provincial first prize from St. Vincent to his already impressive palmares, although he had to settle for second at national level. The racing bird that only just missed out on a national first prize is a full brother of Supercrack Provincial Pau (which was transferred to the breeding loft). His name is:
Provincial Pau: full brother to 1. Provincial & 2. National St.Vincent in 2019
-Provincial St.Vincent BE17-4214021
1. Prov St.Vincent 542 p. ’19 2. Nat. St.Vincent 2,953 p. ’19 – 10. Intnat 10,623 p. 72. Vierzon 869 p. ’19 470 Nat Limoges I 13,569 p. ’19 726 Nat Montauban 5,408 p. ’19 Full brother of Provincial Pau: 3. Nat. Ace Pigeon extreme long distance KBDB 2017 10. Nat. Ace Pigeon extreme long distance KBDB 2016
After the exhausting races from Montauban and St. Vincent (pigeons were clocked at dusk, after racing for 15 hours), Etienne cleverly decided to no longer basket his talented two year old but to let him recover and get ready for the 2020 season. He is a son of Etienne's number one breeder today, Superbreeder BE11-431221 (himself a son of Monar: 1st Internat. Narbonne 12,605 p.), paired to Daughter Euro Diamond DV06720-09-1766 (from Olympiad Pigeon Marathon Cat. E in Oostende, and the legendary Euro Diamond of Dr. H.P. Brockamp, winner of a 1st Nat. Carcassonne)
Click here for the pedigree of Provincial St.Vincent
Superbreeder looks on his way to following in the footsteps of his grandmother Yelena. He was in fact linebred (grandson x daughter) to Marathonlady, which is the dam of Yelena, as well as of Daughter Marathonlady, which is in turn the dam of Superbreeder. Superbreeder is the sire of Provincial Pau and Provincial St. Vincent, as well as of All-in One, a 7th Nat. Ace Pigeon extreme long distance KBDB in 2014, and grandfather of the winner of a 1st Prov. & 5th Nat. Souillac of 4,056 YLs in 2019.
VIPau: Belgium's best bird in the international races
This is another title that Etienne Meirlaen added to his palmares for the second season straight. He had the best pigeon of Belgium across 3 international races of 2018 in his collection: Olympic Monar (also 4th Olympiad Pigeon Cat. E in Poznan). And next up was VIPau in 2019, the big star of his team of racing cocks in the extreme long distance. This is what his palmares looks like:
1. Belgium's best extreme long distance pigeon across 3 international races 2019 12. Nat Ace Pigeon extreme long distance old birds KBDB 2019 (over 2 races) 8. Nat Pau 2,797 p. ’19 63. Nat St.Vincent 2,953 p. ’19 87. Nat St.Vincent 2,758 p. ’18 107 Nat Perpignan 3,966 p. ’18 139 Nat Perpignan 3,915 p. ’19 269 Nat St.Vincent 3,053 p. ’17 337 Nat Narbonne 5,929 p. ’16
Champions breed champions. This clearly applies to VIPau. He is a son of Barcelona 472 BE07-4278472, winner of five consecutive top results in Barcelona (2009-2013), including a 6th Nat. Barcelona of 12,170 p. and a 16th Nat. Perpignan of 6,661 pigeons. This is in turn a son of Old 7 x Barca’ BE03-6364240, another Barcelona specialist and winner of 7 consecutive prizes in Barcelona, with for instance a 68th Nat. Barcelona of 11,612 p. and an 84th Nat. Barcelona of 12,998 pigeons.
The dam is Beauty Queen BE10-5061819, a 71st Nat. Barcelona of 8,764 p. ’14, a 48th Internat. Marseille ’13, a 60th Internat. Barcelona ’14, and a 77th Internat. Perpignan ’12. Her sire wins a 7th Nat. St. Vincent of 7,356 p. ’08 and a 10th Nat. Barcelona of 13,502 p. Her dam is a half sister of golden stock dam Yelena.
Click here for the pedigree of VIPau
VIPau got a well-deserved spot in the Meirlaen breeding loft, where the main strategy is to breed youngsters from proven race winners and ace pigeons.
Golden Perpi: Belgium's best pigeon from Perpignan across 2 seasons – 2018-'19
And there is more: Belgium's best pigeon from Perpignan across 2018 and 2019 also lives in the lofts of Etienne Meirlaen. Golden Perpi is a racing hen that stems from some of the team's very best bloodlines:
-Golden Perpi BE14-4261155 (hen)
1. Best pigeon of Belgium in Perpignan 2018-19 11. Nat Ace Pigeon extreme long distance KBDB 2019 28. Nat Perpignan 3,915 p. ’19 43. Nat Pau 2,797 p. ’19 52. Intnat Perpignan 12,349 p. ’18 – 22. Nat 3,966 p. 56. Nat Narbonne 3,366 p. ’18 107 Nat Perpignan 4,620 p. ’17 133 Nat Narbonne 4,799 p. ’16
Judging from her pedigree, she has some excellent origins indeed. Her sire is Son Starlight BE12-4278445, a half brother of Superbreeder (from Starlight, winner of a 2nd Internat. Tarbes of 12,549 p. and a 9th Nat. Montauban of 7,203 p., paired to Daughter Marathonlady, the dam of Superbreeder and a half sister of Yelena). Her dam is a Daughter Montali BE11-4312939 (bred from Montali, winner of a 4th Nat. Montauban of 9,091 p. and a 12th Montauban of 6,654 p. He has become one of the stock breeders in the renowned Meirlaen pigeon breed).
Click here for the pedigree of Golden Perpi
Meirlaen pigeons provide national and international first prize winners
Etienne Meirlaen's pigeon breed has not only been thriving in their own loft in Deurle. This pigeon breed has been guaranteed to deliver excellent results in national and international races in other teams as well, both at home and abroad. We wanted to make sure that no one gets overlooked, so we only focus on the race winners at the highest level.
To begin with, Ad Fortuin from Strijen in The Netherlands claimed a 1st Internat. St. Vincent of 10,623 pigeons in 2019 with super class racing hen Willeke, which also claimed a 67th Nat. Pau three weeks earlier. She was born in the lofts of Hugo Batenburg-Vd Merwe but she is a 50% Meirlaen descendant: both the sire and dam stem from a joint breeding of Batenburg x Meirlaen. The sire is a grandson of Monar BE14-4261259 (50% Meirlaen), and the dam is super class hen Yvette NL14-1040492, winner of a 9th Nat. Cahors 5,279 p. 2015 and 23rd Nat. Barcelona 4,505 p. 2017. She is a granddaughter of Montali, making her a 50% Meirlaen.
Besides, Hugo Batenburg-Vd Merwe claimed a 1st Best European Ace Pigeon with a pigeon from a joint breeding with Etienne Meirlaen.
The Meirlaen descendants have been on top of their game in Great Britain as well, for instance for English champion Mark Gilbert. He claimed several national victories in recent years, and many of these were won with pigeons of the noble Meirlaen breed. In 2019, Mark Gilbert had three pigeons in the international top 7 in Pau: a 4-5-7th Internat. Pau 12,119 pigeons. Two of them are descendants of Meirlaen. The winner of a 1st Nat. And 4th Internat. Pau is a grandson of Meirlaen’s Kannibaal Barcelona. And the winner of a 1st Nat. St. Vincent and 7th Internat. Pau is a grandson of that same Kannibaal Barcelona (winner of a 1st Prov. & 4th Internat. Barcelona 2010 for Etienne Meirlaen).
In 2018, Team De Jaeger from Knesselare (BE) won a 1st Internat. Barcelona of 15,707 p. with Lloyd, in one of the most demanding Barcelona classics in history. The sire of Lloyd is a direct Meirlaen bird.
This overview clearly shows the enormous racing potential and the breeding qualities of the modern-day Meirlaen pigeon, supplier of numerous national and international race winners!
A solid foundation largely based around stock dam Yelena
To say that the Meirlaen pigeons are a world class breed in the extreme long distance would be stating the obvious. Their palmares says it all: national winners, ace pigeons and Olympiad Pigeons, as well as national champions. And one of the pigeons that has had a big part in this success story is stock dam Yelena. She is without doubt one of the best stock dams of her generation at international level. The Yelena dynasty holds a firm grip on the international racing scene. The list of achievements of her youngsters and grandchildren is simply astounding:
‘Yelena’ is the dam/grandmother of:
1. Olympiad Pigeon of Belgium 2019 extreme long distance Poznan - Poland with grandson ‘Yelena’ 031/13
4. Olympiad Pigeon of Belgium 2019 extreme long distance Poznan with ‘Olympic Monar’
1. Int. Narbonne 2011 - 12,605 p. with ‘Monar’
1. prov. St Vincent 512 p. / 2. Nat.’18/ 7. Int. 9,544 p. with ‘G.son Yelena’
1. prov. St Vincent 542 p. / 2. Nat. ‘19/10. Int. 10,623 p. with ‘Provincial St Vincent’
1. Best extreme long distance pigeon of Belgium – 3 Internat. races 2018 with ‘Olympic Monar’
1. Best extreme long distance pigeon of Belgium – 3 Internat. races 2019 with ‘VIPau’
1. Nat. Ace Pigeon extreme long distance KBDB 2017 with ‘Diamond Anita’
1. prov. St. Vincent - 515 p. / 11. Nat. 3,053 p. 2017 with ‘Provincial Pau’
1. prov. Pau - 266 p. / 11. Nat. 1,661 p. 2016 with ‘Provincial Pau’
1. prov. Agen 659 / 3. Nat. YLs 2014 – 3,180 p. with ‘Miss Agen’
2. Nat. Ace Pigeon cat. E Europa Cup Dortmund 2012 (after teammate), with ‘Monar’
2. Olympiad Continental Cup Budapest 2012 (cat. E) after teammate with ‘Monar’
2. Nat. Asduif Grote Fond over 3 vluchten 2018 with BE14-4216020
3. Nat. Narbonne 2019 – 3,580 p. with ‘G.child Yelena’
3. prov. Perpignan - 795 p. / 7. Nat. 4,620 p. 2017 with ‘Provincial Pau’
4. Nat. Montauban 2011 - 9,091 p. – 1. club with ‘Montali’
5. Nat. Montauban 2010 – 6,654 p. – 1. prov – 1. club with ‘De Montauban’
5. Nat. Souillac 2019 – 4,056 p. with ‘James’
6. Nat. Agen YL - 3,173 p. - 1. prov. - 1. club with ‘Mona’
6. prov. / 25. Nat. Ace Pigeon long distance KBDB 2017 with ‘151/13’
7. Nat. Barcelona - 7,847 p. / 27. Int. 16,759 p. with ‘Diamond Anita’
7. Int. winner Thailand OLR / 1. Belgian pigeon with ‘321/16’
7. Nat. Ace Pigeon extreme long distance YLs KBDB 2014 with ‘All In One’
7. Nat. Montauban 2014 - 5,935 p. with ‘Yelco’
8. Nat. Perpignan 2018 – 3,966 p. / 21. Int. 12,339 p.
8. Nat. Jarnac - 4,559 p. with ‘981/14’
9. Nat. Cahors - 5,267 p. for Batenburg-VD Merwe
10. Nat. Ace Pigeon extreme long distance KBDB 2016 with ‘Provincial Pau’
10. Nat. Ace Pigeon extreme long distance YLs KBDB 2014 with ‘Monar’s Pride’
10. Nat. Perpignan - 4,620 p. / 35. Int. 14,673 p. with ‘Diamond Anita’
10. Nat. Montauban 2012 - 6,822 p. with ‘De Montauban’
11. Nat. / 13. Int. Narbonne – 13,335 p. 2010 with ‘Monar’
12. Nat. Montauban 2010 - 6,654 p. with ‘Montali’
13. Nat. Narbonne - 2,835 p. / 38. Int. 8,360 p. with ‘Monar’s Pride’
13. Nat. Pau - 2,135 p. 2017 / 1. prov. / 1. club with ‘Nestsister Montalisa’
14. Nat Agen - 3,180 p. with ‘All In One’
16. Nat. Barcelona - 7,74 p. / 54. Int. 16,759 p. with ‘Yelbar’
20. Nat. St. Vincent – 3,053 p.
22. Nat. Agen - 4,405 p. / 37. Int. 11,930 p. with ‘111/13’
24. Nat. Perpignan - 5,254 p. with ‘Nestsister Montalisa’
25. Nat. Pau 2,152 p. with ‘031/13’
World class in the long distance and extreme long distance
It is not really a secret that Etienne Meirlaen is one of the world’s best pigeon fanciers in the long distance, and in the extreme long distance in particular. His many great results were won with the help of an extensive group of top quality breeders, pigeons that combine a race winning mentality with exceptional breeding potential. And it appears that the future generations are about just as talented as their predecessors. This in turn explains the steady stream of long distance and extreme long distance race winners every season. For an overview of his titles and ace pigeons, click here. This pigeon breed combines class and quality, again in 2020.
The winner of a 1st Prov. and 3rd Nat. Narbonne 3,580 YLs is a granddaughter of Yelena
Winner of a 1st Prov. & 5th Nat. Souillac 4,056 YLs stems from a Son Yelena x Granddaughter Yelena